Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Lesson No. 4 - Better Wise than a Wiseguy

Okay, so I'm watching House right now. The doctors vying for a spot on his team are very competitive, trying both to be right and to impress House. House himself is competing with another doctor to diagnose a CIA agent. But he doesn't consider himself to be competing. He's pompous, though, because he considers himself right. All the time.

In Hebrew there's a saying, "על תהיה צודק - תהיה חכם"

Don't be right, be smart. Know-it-alls don't always know everything.

House and his cohorts experience this over and over, but don't learn at all.

But we can. We just need to think larger - think about the goal at hand and not about what we get out of it. It's related to another Hebrew phrase, ראש גדול , literally, big head. It means thinking with with a larger view. The opposite, ראש קטן, small head, thinks with blinders on. Doesn't want to think about the impact his or her actions has on others, and how to advance the larger goal at hand...

In this context (and in this one only!), I can say I'd much rather have a big head! I enjoy trying to advance my goals of the company I work for, the organizations I volunteer with, as well as the goals of people I know. When I read something that I think someone else will find interesting or relevant, I forward it to them. Unlike the Mafia, I'm not trying to cultivate future favors. I just enjoy being helpful.

I think it's better to be wise than to be a wiseguy, don't you?

No comments: