Monday, November 5, 2007

Unexpected recap

Yesterday afternoon I attended a concert of Jewish singers meant to celebrate synagogue life. The theater was packed and the sense of spirit unmistakeable. Interspersed among the different singers were video clips of local people speaking about what being Jewish meant to them or what going to synagogue meant to them. Often the word "community" came up.

My friend and I enjoyed the music. (Joshua Nelson 's Jewish gospel music was especially invigorating!) but I couldn't see how this -- or any -- single event could bring people into synagogue more often. The palpable connection we all felt in the theater existed, if only because as members of the larger Jewish community, we are de facto connected (it didn't hurt that most of the music was very contagious). But this is not the same as building up a strong sense of connection and community, as I discussed in my second entry.

I just thought it funny that I attended a synagogue-community-related event within a day or so of me posting about connecting to a community, within the context of my synagogue...

No comments: