Friday, November 2, 2007

New Beginnings - Don't sweat the small stuff

My first blog. Let's start with one of the lessons I learned while living in Israel: Don't sweat the small stuff. I think part of gaining that understanding had to do with the fact that I was living in a country where there really were very big things to worry about.

I've found this perspective especially useful in raising sons. I've actually been very fortunate (and so are they) in that they get along. They really like each other. But on those rare occasions where there is an argument, I don't butt in. Part of that is based on not sweating the small stuff. If there is no blood, no one being hurt, then I don't think I need to get overheated about it. An even bigger part of that actually has to do with my parenting philosophy, mostly based on Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish's books, such as How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk (Let the kids acquire the tools to work it out themselves. They'll need to know how to manage in social situations, negotiate outcomes, etc. as they grow older).

But I digress. I'll leave that for another entry.

No comments: