Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lesson No. 5 - Continued

We've already established that expectations need to be made clear in order for them to be met. For the sake of clarity, I'm revisiting the topic...

"Clear expectations" means as part of my responsibilities as education chair of organization X, I need to be told that I should open each board meeting with an tidbit from which we can draw a lesson. It is wrong to make the assumption that I already know this if I've never held the position before.

It also means as parent/part-time taxi driver in the family, I need to be asked (nicely, please!) to drive whichever son to school early, after he's stated a desire/need to go in before the first bell rings. It is a mistake to assume that I'm available. (Is this a good time to remind that a thank you afterwards would be nice?)

And it means as a proposal designer/editor of sorts (where the broker team and I hand off the proposal during the process of putting it together), I need to be kept informed, not only as to the team's progress, but also as to what and when I should next expect to see an updated version of the document. It is unwise (and uncourteous) to proceed as if those whom you need in order to complete your work have no other projects going on.

These examples all point to the folly, not only when you assume (yes, we all know all about that word) facts which may not be true, but also when you don't think about things from start to finish (as I mentioned in my last entry). This is essential, especially if you are delegating, working with others (paid or volunteer), or even asking someone for a favor.

Let 'em know what they need to know in order to decide if they want to do it. And let 'em know what they need to know so that they can get the job done.

The examples also point to another downside of poor communications - disrespect. When you misuse another's time, whether intentionally or not, you are not respecting the value of his or her time. And when others wind up wasting time in trying to complete a task for you, their desire to help out "next time" will undoubtedly be diminished.

It boils down to Hillel's golden rule, "Do not do unto others as you would not have them do unto you." Think about how you would want to be treated.

My mother taught me, "Be nice." I'd like to add, "Be clear."

No comments: