Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Current Reading

I'm reading a book which my middle son recommended to me. It's written for teenagers, and I think every teen and every parent should read it. I recognize it's a bit slanted, but the information is still powerful and may impact on behavior and decision-making.

The book is called Chew On This: Everything You Don't Want to Know About Fast Food and is about the fast food industry.

The author starts with the first hamburger place and moves on to the explosive growth of McDonald's. Ray Croc would take helicopter rides to identify good locations near schools. He knew the way to increase growth was to get more children through the door. And he used many means.

There is also a chapter discussing the meatpacking industry and slaughterhouses, and how so much of it changed with the coming of the McNugget.

I'm in the middle of a chapter on obesity. I explained to my son that while the fast food industry may market their products in very pervasive and persuasive ways, it doesn't take away from parental and personal accountability regarding food choices. When children are small, decision-making falls on the parents. When kids are in high school and eating garbage daily, they need to take responsibility.

A must-read. Good for starting meaningful discussions with your family.

1 comment:

Doug Kalman PhD, RD said...

the more authentic book is Fast Food Nation, read it!