Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday's lunchtime Bar Mitzvah party

I wanted to hold the Bar Mitzvah "party" somewhere not far from the synagogue--or actually, not far from the Marriott Courtyard where the guests are staying, as it has a free shuttle up to a five mile radius.

I also did not want to spend a lot. I checked out event facilities, caterers, restaurants, etc., but in the end, decided upon brunch at an Italian restaurant which sounded nice (found it after a lot of online sleuthing and telephone calls to area restaurants). A co-worker vouched for them as well. I contacted the proprietor and he sounded amenable. We discussed my only requirement--no meat (to keep a semblance of kashrut). We went in one Sunday morning for brunch, to try out the menu, check out the ambience, see what the service was like. All quite wonderful.

Some time later the proprietor contacted me to tell me that they had cancelled their brunch menu. So we proposed a lunch menu instead for the same price, and he agreed. Instead of 10:30 am, the invitation would call for 11:00 am.

For $18 a person, including tax and tip, they will serve green and/or caesar salad (family style), rolls and garlic knots, an entree. Adults will receive their choice of stuffed shells, gnocchi with choice of sauce, or fettucini alfredo (he requested we get this info in advance--it was put on the RSVP card); children will have spaghetti and ravioli to choose from, served family style. For dessert, each person can choose either cannoli or Italian ices. Refillable soft drinks, coffee, tea are included as well. One of our guests asked me about this--she liked the idea so much--as she needs to plan a high school graduation party for her oldest daughter (a wonderful girl who tutored both my oldest son and now my middle son for their Bnei Mitzvah).

It is a small storefront restaurant in a historic area near quaint railroad tracks. For added entertainment, I found a magician who will perform "strolling magic," from table to table. Again, I did my detective work online, googling for magicians in my area. I checked websites (some were part of nationally affiliated companies), wrote to them all, and found out pricing from those who answered (they began at $200 and hour and increased from there). Later on I contacted one more I had stumbled upon. He quoted me $300. When I told him I was looking for less, he told me that anyone under $200 isn't likely to be good. Then I told him I had found someone for $200. He asked for the name, and when I told him, he was surprised that this particular magician worked at that price...since he is so good.

I figured I didn't need to call the references he gave me with an endorsement like that!

While it would be good advertising for me to give his name and website, as well as that of the resturant, at this point in time, I am still not supplying factors which would help identify me or my location. This may change...

I have a "few tricks up my sleeve" for carrying out the magic theme, but will save them for another entry!

No comments: