Friday, November 7, 2008

What's next?

Two days after the elections, and I've debated putting in my two cents on the candidates or on my process of reaching a decision (which took me until the very end to do). But I think not. Not sure if delineating the weaknesses I saw in each of the candidates and parties would be productive in any way.

What is truly commendable is the amount of people who voted. I haven't seen statistics yet, of what percentage of the population. But this election brought out so many first-time voters of all ages, engaged so many in the political process, and that is certainly a good thing.

An interesting sidenote to this election--so many people wanted momentos of this historic election, that many newspapers sold out, and some were even forced to reprint. Boy, I can imagine how happy the advertisers for yesterday's issues are! In this day and age, when so many newspapers are cutting staff, reducing their page count, breaking their relationships with the AP, it was nice to have a day of increased paper circulation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been there....more times than I want to remember. Reinforce in the kids that it has nothing to do with them, that grown-ups fight in shitty ways over shitty things and that being grown-up don't always make us right, it just makes us chronologically older.
Love them, spend quality time with them and realize, that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger-or we just kill them for making us nuts.
You are stronger than you will ever give yourself credit for.
Focus on what's good in life-and if it fails-it 's just one more experience we chalk up to living a life of free will...