Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lesson No. 14 - Understanding...Football

I don't know if it's the South or the times, but I don't remember football being so important when I grew up. anyway, last night I attended a "Mom's football clinic" held by my oldest son's football coach. My son will be playing JV.

We met in a restaurant and after our meal, the coach got up to talk. He spoke about values and about football, taught us terminology and his philosophy about plays (lots of repetition, learn a few but learn them well) and a bunch of other things. I now know what a triple option and a veer play are, and the numbers and letters used to describe the positions of the players on the field and the gaps between them. (I found a site, which seems to explain well, too. Use the dropdown lists at the top.)

The coach had a few gems, from which we can draw other life lessons. Unfortunately, only one really comes to mind now (I wish I had taken notes!): If your defense is strong and you keep the other team from scoring, you will not lose. Very smart, I thought...

1 comment:

Doug Kalman PhD, RD said...

the best offense is a strong defense...
drive through the tackle/hit - analogy, don't give up until it is done...