Friday, August 8, 2008

Lesson No. 16 - Everything is better covered in chocolate

Okay, that's not so much a lesson as a self-evident truth.

Once I made chocolate covered pretzel rods for my son's Bar Mitzvah, I discovered how easy it could be (although they were a bit tricky, in that we couldn't leave either end uncovered. to look like magic wands, I needed to put white chocolate on the ends too).

Anyway, a few weeks ago I prepared pretzel twists, which was easy enough. Two nights ago, I made parting gifts for the kids' camp counselors (with ten of them, I wasn't about to give tips, sorry!). So, I covered rods again (all but an inch at one end), and then added sprinkles. Last night I bagged them and the kids filled out homemade tags which I tied on with ribbons.

All you do is melt the chocolate in the microwave, cover what you want and leave on wax paper to harden in the fridge. Some recipes I saw for chocolate covered spoons (something I had thought about doing for the grownups at the Bar Mitzvah, for mixing into their coffee) also used shortening.

So a few minutes ago, I googled for "chocolate covered" to see what else I could make, and found something I cannot and will not: chocolate covered bacon-stuffed cake!

I also found many recipes using different kinds of fruit (cherries, berries, bananas on sticks, raisins, etc.), and, even better, popcorn, nuts, and even potato chips. Chocolate covered anything is an easy and inexpensive way to make gifts for friends, family, and coworkers...

No comments: