Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lesson No. 12 - No matter how early you begin, it won't be enough!

Yes, I began planning my son's Bar Mitzvah a long, long, long time ago. And yes, I accomplished much on my to-do list, once I settled on venues and menus, some of which has changed over time (such as the Kiddush meal, which will no longer have a Mexican 7-layer dip). In addition to designing and creating invitations, thank you cards, place cards, one meal's centerpieces, favors for the Kiddush (that took quite a while!), some favors for the "party," and ordering and receiving (after way too much time) kippot from Israel, I still have so much to finish...and so little time.

I had to take a haitus from making chocolate covered pretzel rods (which are to look like magic wands), thanks to Passover. Ditto for the magic hat favors filled with candy. Passover ends this weekend...and the next one is the Bar Mitzvah!

I also still have the programs to print, but we've just about settled who will receive which "honors" at synagogue.

I need to go order the Kosher Chinese for Friday night, and pick up the takeout boxes and chopsticks so I can make the centerpieces for that meal. And I have to taste-test pareve ice cream for that dessert. And my son and I have to go to the cookie store to order the pareve cookie cake. But all this has to wait until Passover is over.

What else? What else? I have to make up the guest bags and write a small speech and color my hair and try on my suit and...and...and...

My son is ready. That's all that matters.

My son is ready. He will lead most everything. We are so very proud of him - he's a great kid, always working hard, always giving his all. This year alone, besides prepration for this day, he has learned how to play the trombone (and is in the middle of the next grade's lesson book!), volunteers a number of hours every week at an animal shelter, etc. etc. etc.)...

A great kid. That's more important than favors and cookies and anything else...

No comments: